Friday, August 26, 2011

Vegetable Korma

RJ was traveling this week for his new job (he's going to be doing a lot of that now!). I always miss him a lot while he's gone but pretty soon he'll be working from home so that will make up for the traveling. It also gives me a chance to try out some recipes -using Harvie as a guinea pig. He's not that great of a helper though.. he likes everything.

RJ was gone Tuesday - Friday this week and I decided to try out an Indian Recipe - Vegetable Korma. We went to a great Indian Restaurant with Ryan and Michelle a few weeks ago and this is actually what I ordered. It was so good that I decided to try it out myself. I loved the outcome! It was strange cooking solo - usually it's a joint effort.

I got this idea and used some of the measurements from this recipe, but did a lot of substituting and improvising.


Here are the ingredients I did use:
-A few sticks of zucchini, chopped
-2 small tomatoes, chopped
-half a container of mushrooms
-Half of an onion
-Garlic Powder (you could use real garlic if your husband is home to do the chopping) - 1 tbsp
-Curry Power - at least 1 tbsp, more if you like it really spicy
-One good shake of red pepper flakes
-1 8 oz. can of tomato paste
-1 cup heavy cream (I didn't say this was necessarily healthy)



1) First cook the onion for a few minutes then stir in the zucchini, then the mushrooms & garlic
2) Let those cook for a few minutes then add the tomato paste


3) Add the spices (Curry powder and red pepper flakes)
4) Add the heavy cream and chopped tomatoes last


Serve with rice, salad and naan bread - so good!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo this looks really good! The Husband and I JUST had Indian food for the first time about a month ago (lol, we are so uncultured) and of course, loved it. We are trying to get up the courage to try to make something ourselves...we are equally as bad of cooks as we are at trying new things :) This looks so good though...

    ReplyDelete