Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On the Rise


Some of you may know that the company I currently work for is for sale. RJ and I thought seriously about buying it for awhile.. but decided it wasn't for us. We love the idea of having our own venture and working for ourselves (oh the flexibility!), so it was tempting. Right now we want to focus more on our properties and keep trying to save money. Eventually we may buy another rental property (why not make it a collection?) or even an apartment building if it was a good investment. We'll see. 

Anyway.. I am going to work with KidzArt through the end of this school year and then shift my focus to my side job at project RISE (realizing individual strength through education). The program is a collaborative effort by Akron Public Schools, local shelters and the community to provide supplemental educational services to children experiencing homelessness. Whatever their situation may be and regardless of the parents' decisions and lifestyle, it isn't the child's fault and we try to bridge that gap. A lot of the parents I work with are wonderful and hard-working people who just need a little help and encouragement.

I get to work with the kids at the shelters, usually doing an educational art program and sometimes tutoring.  In the picture above, another staff member and I were helping a 6th grader build a 'mouse-trap' car for her Science class. That was.. interesting! We take the kids on field trips (the other picture up there is at the roller skating rink!) and on outings to plays, etc. The group picture is a group of us staff members at the Barberton Magical Theatre, where we take the kids to see plays specifically aimed at children. We get a lot of book donations, so those trips usually include a book giveaway as you can see in the picture. I've also been working around 10 hours per week in the office taking calls, writing press releases and assisting the director.


I love it and can't wait to focus more of my energies where my heart is!

No comments:

Post a Comment