Monday, June 16, 2014

A Couple of Fun Things That Happened While I was Still Pregnant..

I have a little catching up to do with things I want to remember from the last weeks before Eden's birth. 

On May 9th, I was a model in the Goodwill Fashion Show in Cleveland. My friend Jessica was styling a "Bohemian" Collection and I was one of her models along with some other girls. This was the same fashion show that I styled a collection for last year (read more here). It was so much fun and I can't wait to tell Eden that she was in a fashion show before she was even born.



A few days later, I was honored to be part of the "Women & Baseball" event at the Rubber Ducks Game. The Rubber Ducks are Akron's Minor League Baseball Team, formerly the Akron Aero's. Earlier this year, my boss (kindly) nominated me for one of the Summit County Historical Society's Woman of the Year Awards.. surprisingly, I actually won for "creativity" for one of my special projects at the Battered Women's Shelter - such an honor! Anyway, the Rubber Ducks asked some of us award winners to throw a first pitch at the special "Women & Baseball" game on Saturday. It was really fun and I loved that they focused the evening on celebrating local women and their achievements. 



Throwing a pitch from the actual pitcher's mound to the home plate 2 weeks before my due date was a stretch, but I'm so glad I did it! I almost threw the ball all the way to the catcher.. but not quite. RJ was proud that I threw it straight and overhand.

That same weekend, I had the opportunity to be part of a Goodwill Style Contest. We had 30 minutes to style an outfit under $20. I went just over at $21.33, but my whole outfit was found that day, even shoes (some people wore their own). 3 of us got Goodwill gift cards for getting the most votes from the audience. Surprisingly (and flatteringly), I was one of them! The group of us is pictured below.


My strategy (being 38 weeks pregnant at the time) was to find a big dress and belt it. I found some of those, but also found a great,  black and white, Vintage, cityscape dress. I didn't think the Black Vintage dress would actually fit, but I brought it into the fitting room anyway. Shockingly, I was able to zip it! Once I knew I had my dress, I went back out and found a beige blazer, necklace and shoes to match. 

The style of this look is "work to evening". I love the idea of being able to wear something like this to work, and then simply removing the blazer for more of a "fun evening out" look. I just love the print of the dress - with the birds on top and the city scene on the bottom.. it's so unique! 

Here it is all together:


We got to keep the outfits, which is great!

The story was even picked up in the Akron Beacon Journal, which is so cool! You can read that here

No comments:

Post a Comment